Lending Circles for Dreamers
Money should not stand in the way of dreams
With nearly one million eligible for Deferred Action, this new policy will help promising young people obtain protection from deportion and provide access to work permits. A first step towards securing their future, Deferred Action will help them pursue higher education, meaningful employment, and a chance to provide meaningful contributions to our country.
But yet, for many struggling students, a costly application fee stands in their way of filing for Deferred Action. We want to make sure we can help as many promising young people as possible. Currently, this program is available in the Bay Area, but we are actively looking for ways to expand to other cities.
What are the benefits?
• Save 1/3 of the cost with a $155 charitable match
• A no-cost loan for $310 will cover the rest
• Low monthly payments that students can afford (no more than $62 per month)
• A chance to build a positive credit history
How does it work?
1) A group of Dreamers come together, complete the paperwork, creating a Lending Circle
2) Each Dreamer is responsible for contributing between $31-$62 per month to cover the loan of $310
3) We'll contribute $155 to help make it more affordable
4) When your application is ready, we'll give you a check for $465 to the Department of Homeland Security
5) When your loan is paid off, you'll have an established credit history
What is Deferred Action?
On August 15, 2012, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services began accepting applications from young immigrants for “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals”. The policy of Deferred Action was announced by President Obama on June 15th, allowing qualifying immigrants (under the age of 31 who came to the U.S. before age 16) to obtain protection from deportation and work permits. This opens the first door for an estimated one million DREAMers in the United States so they can pursue higher education, meaningful employment, and a chance to contribute to the future of this country.
Questions? Want to support this effort?