Do you have a passion for research that leads with people’s voices and lived experiences? Do you want to drive analysis, inform cultural narratives, and shape policy discussions that champion the strengths and innovations of low-income and immigrant households? Do you want to be challenged, leverage technical skills, be on the cutting edge of economic justice work, have a good laugh, brainstorm a lot, get inspired frequently, and be on the right side of history?
Mission Asset Fund (MAF) is looking for a Data Analyst who combines a passion for social justice and equity with a data-driven approach and analytical skills. As a member of the Evaluation team, you will help us turn our rich data into rich insights. You will leverage your ability to query, manage, and analyze data to help us uplift and amplify insights from our clients’ financial lives and communicate the impact of our work.
Our story: Mission Asset Fund (MAF) is a groundbreaking non-profit on a mission to create a fair financial marketplace for hardworking families. We’re a recognized nationwide leader in developing innovative and successful asset-building strategies. A hybrid between a tech start-up and a nonprofit, MAF is a great place to work for both nonprofit or for-profit professionals who are interested in tech for social good and thrive in a fast-paced environment. The issues we are tackling are real and require dedication and urgency to be met head-on. At MAF, we work hard and care deeply about the clients we serve.
As MAF grows, we need someone who is passionate about data and can work with our team to share data insights in innovative ways. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants not just a job, but also an opportunity to build financial power in low-income and immigrant communities and be part of a community and culture that is committed to social good.
An awesome team to work with: This is a fully remote position with potential opportunities for regular meetups in our San Francisco office for local candidates. You will be working with a team that is ridiculously dedicated to the mission and fun to work with. We are extremely collaborative and embrace teamwork as a core value. As a nonprofit and tech startup, we attract people who like to jump in with both feet and who aren’t afraid of learning how to do better. Hailing from many different cultural and professional backgrounds, we are drawn together by a passion for embracing technology and creativity to make the world a better place for hardworking families.
Reports to: Evaluation Manager
Desired Skills & Experience
- You bring together a passion for social justice and equity with a human-centered approach to data and research.
- You’re a self-starter, you can work independently or with a team, and you exhibit good judgment about when to escalate a problem and when to find solutions on your own.
- You bring a good sense of humor, healthy interpersonal skills, and a “can do” positive attitude.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, data science, economics, quantitative social science, or a related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- You have 2-4 years of relevant experience.
- You bring a proven record of managing databases, ensuring data integrity, and cleaning and analyzing large-scale datasets.
- You have extensive experience (intermediate level or higher) using tools like SQL, R, Python, and Salesforce to clean and manipulate data. Preference for Salesforce and R.
- You are a passionate data translator who can communicate about complex data in clear and accessible ways (including visualizations!).
- You are adept at sharing data and insights with a range of audiences, both internal and external.
- You have prior experience in the fields of asset building, personal finance, or community development, with preference for a specific focus on immigrant communities.
- You have experience collecting primary data in surveys, focus groups, interviews, or participatory research.
- Proficiency in Spanish (both written and spoken) is a plus.
Data Management & Analysis (70%)
- Clean and format datasets, working closely with the Evaluation Manager to review incomplete or inconsistent data, make a determination on how to address, and implement changes.
- Employ statistical techniques to identify and interpret trends and insights about the financial lives of MAF’s clients.
- Provide real-time internal debriefs on program data by developing Salesforce dashboards and reports, data debrief slide decks, and data visualizations.
- Keep a pulse on MAF’s programs data, working with the Evaluation Manager to develop dashboards and insights around themes central to clients’ lives.
- Support the fundraising team with data reporting for grants and proposals – write code to query databases, set up dashboards to ensure seamless reporting in the future, and conduct ad hoc data pulls to supplement grant reports.
- Take the lead on all incoming data requests from other MAF teams, particularly the fundraising and programs teams.
- Pull, manipulate, and manage data for major data reporting projects.
- Collaborate with other Data Analysts to collectively answer critical questions and solve problems using data.
Systems & Tech (20%)
- Build and execute data analysis plans, back-up existing data, merge information from multiple sources, and do regular data cleanups and maintenance.
- Our data is stored in a variety of databases, including Salesforce, Qualtrics, and Mixpanel. If you have familiarity with these platforms, we’d love to hear about it!
- Document procedures and best practices for key data projects to ensure that our work is replicable and sustainable.
- Coordinate with members of the MAF Lab, our R&D team, to establish consistency in database management and data storage.
- Provide a key perspective on technology projects as the MAF Lab team develops new data infrastructure.
- Lead the maintenance of MAF’s Bitbucket account, our shared repository for all code.
Data Insights & Communications (10%)
- Develop your own analyses for inclusion in insights briefs, blogs, and reports.
- Validate data analyses from other members of the Evaluation team, to ensure the validity and consistency of our output.
- Create data visualizations for both external reports and internal briefs, creating templates for standard charts and exploring new visualizations to expand MAF’s toolkit.
- Share data insights with a range of audiences, including other MAF teams, partner organizations, clients, and researchers and policymakers.
- Develop your “MAF voice” in written and verbal communications – the ability to quickly conceptualize and transform data into well-shaped narratives about clients’ experiences.
Compensation & Benefits
- This is a full-time position with an anticipated salary range of $80,000-85,000. Salary will be dependent on experience.
- We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with this value.
- We provide 20 days of Paid Time Off (160 hours)/year accrued for the first two years of full-time employment, 13 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule.
- We provide generous medical (HMO and PPO options), dental, vision, disability, life, flexible spending account, and AD&D insurance.
- We care about your financial future. We provide a matching 401K plan that is immediately vested. We will match up to 6% of your compensation/year.
- Commuter benefits & flexible savings accounts: pre-tax benefit accounts used to pay for expenses like healthcare or commuter expenses like parking, vanpool, public transit—including train, subway, bus, and ferry.
Our Hiring Process and Timeline
- We will read your cover letter first; it’s important for us to understand whether this is the right fit for you. In your cover letter, please be sure to tell us why you are interested in this job, what is most important to you about MAF’s work, and share examples of past work you’ve done that makes you a strong candidate.
- We’ll also take a close look at your writing sample. Please provide an example that best showcase your ability to clearly, accessibly, and succinctly communicate insights.
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We would like to have the selected candidate start as soon as possible.
Equal Opportunity Employment: Mission Asset Fund is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Mission Asset Fund does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Deadline: Applications are processed on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled.
- No phone calls.
- Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.
- Do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers.